THE MAHAPRAJNA BUDDHIST SOCIETY DATA PROTECTION POLICY
The Mahaprajna Buddhist Society (“TMBS”) respects the privacy of individuals and recognizes the importance of the personal data entrusted to us. We believe that it is our responsibility to properly manage, protect, process, use and/or disclose our employees, devotees, students, volunteers and other stakeholders’ personal data. As such, we are committed to complying with the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (“Act”).
The purpose of this Data Protection Policy (“Policy”) is to inform you of how TMBS manages personal data in accordance with the provisions of the Act, as well as to assist you in making an informed decision before providing us with any of your personal data. If you, at any time, have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Data Protection Officer at
Tel: +65 6748 6625
- COLLECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
1.1 “Personal data” means data, whether true or not, about an individual who can be identified from that data, or from that data and other information to which an organisation has or is likely to have access.
1.2 In general, TMBS collects your personal data in several ways, but not limited to the following:
- When you submit a registration form or other forms relating to TMBS’ activities;
- When you submit a membership, Sub-Committee or volunteer form;
- When you are appointed as a Trustee, a Management Committee member or an internal auditor;
- When you participate in our activities;
- When you contact us for enquiries;
- When you submit your personal data to us for employment purpose;
- When you make a donation or payment to us;
- When you visit our website or social media platforms operated by third parties (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.);
- When you respond to our emails sent by us through an authorised third party email service provider; and
- When you participate in surveys.
1.3 Personal data which TMBS may collect from you include but are not limited to:
- Personal information such as your name, NRIC/FIN/Passport number, date of birth, marital status, gender, nationality, occupation, Dharma name, date and place of refuge;
- Contact information such as residential address, email address, telephone, mobile phone and fax number;
- Past academic qualifications such as highest level of education;
- Bank account number;
- Medical certificate;
- Photo, video and/or audio recording;
- Name and contact particulars of the emergency contact person;
- Network usage data and other online information, including IP address, links visited or cookies;
- Employment history; and
- Other information which you may provide to TMBS, from time to time, in the course of your interaction with TMBS.
- PURPOSES OF COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
2.1 In general, TMBS collects, uses and discloses your personal data for the following purposes:
- Conducting or organising TMBS activities, including classes, talks or events;
- Managing TMBS’s administration and relationship with/or amongst students, devotees and volunteers, e.g. disclosing contact details to facilitate dissemination of information and interactions amongst participants;
- Internal record keeping;
- Publicity of TMBS activities on website and social media platforms operated by third parties (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube etc.);
- Processing, tracking and auditing donations made to TMBS;
- Processing membership and administering membership records;
- Processing Sub-Committee member application;
- Processing applications for volunteering opportunities;
- Responding to your queries, feedback, complaints and requests;
- Delivering information regarding news, publications and events;
- Managing the safety and security of our premises (including but not limited to carrying out CCTV surveillance);
- Taking photos, videos and audio recordings of you for (i) internal dissemination within TMBS; (ii) generating publicity materials for our courses, events and programmes; (iii) publication in graduation magazines; and (iv) postings on website and social media platforms;
- Staff recruitment and employment; and
- For any purposes reasonably related and/or ancillary to any of the abovementioned purposes.
2.2 The purposes listed in the above clauses may continue to apply even in situations where your relationship with us (e.g. as a student or volunteer) has been terminated or ended in any way.
2.3 Your personal data will be retained by TMBS for as long as necessary according to our internal policy for the fulfilment of the purposes stated above or is required to satisfy legal, regulatory or accounting requirements.
- DISCLOSURES OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
3.1 TMBS respects the confidentiality of the personal data you have provided to us. In this regard, we will not disclose your personal data without your consent unless otherwise required or authorized by law, or for the purposes listed in paragraph 2.1. TMBS will take reasonable steps to protect your personal data against unauthorised disclosure.
3.2 Your personal data may be disclosed, for the purposes listed in paragraph 2.1 (where applicable), to the following:
- TMBS’s staff and volunteers;
- Our professional advisors such as auditors, lawyers or consultants;
- Relevant government regulators, statutory boards or authorities or law enforcement agencies to comply with any laws, rules, guidelines and regulations or schemes imposed by any governmental authority;
- Travel agents;
- SMS notification service provider;
- Email service provider; and
- Any other party to whom you authorised us to disclose your personal data to.
3.3 TMBS will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure that the third parties, whom your personal data is being disclosed to, will protect your personal data in a manner consistent with this Policy and not use such personal data for any purposes other than those specified by TMBS. However, TMBS does not provide any warranty or take any responsibility of any misuse undertaken by those third parties.
4.1 By submitting your personal data to TMBS, you agree and consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal data by TMBS for the purposes mentioned above.
4.2 If you provide us with personal information relating to a third party (e.g. your children or next-of-kin), you irrevocably and unconditionally represent, warrant and undertake that you have obtained the consent of the third party to provide us with their personal data for the respective purposes.
4.3 You may at any time withdraw any consent given in respect of the collection, use or disclosure of your personal data by giving a written notice addressed to the Data Protection Officer.
- ACCESS AND CORRECTION TO YOUR PERSONAL DATA
5.1 You may apply for a copy of your personal data held by TMBS or request for your personal data to be updated or corrected by sending a formal written request to our Data Protection Officer.
5.2 Upon receiving your request, TMBS will within 30 days:
- Provide you with a copy of your personal data under our custody and information about the ways in which your personal data has been or may have been used or disclosed during the past year;
- Correct your personal data as soon as practicable and inform you that the correction has been made to your personal data; or
- Inform you that your request to access or correct your personal data is rejected, if the request was made in circumstances predefined by the Act where such access or correction is prohibited or not required.
5.3 For a request to access personal data, where we are unable to respond to you within the said 30 days, we will notify you of the soonest possible time within which we can provide you with the information requested.
5.4 For a request to correct personal data, where we are unable to do so within the said 30 days, we will notify you of the soonest practicable time within which we can make the correction. Note that the Act exempts certain types of personal data from being subject to your correction request as well as provides for situation(s) when correction need not be made by us despite your request.
- ACCURACY OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
6.1 TMBS strives to ensure the accuracy of the personal data we possess. In order to ensure that your personal data is current, complete and accurate, please update us accordingly where there are changes to your personal data.
- PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
7.1 TMBS will take reasonable measures to protect your personal data from unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorised modification, unlawful destruction or accidental loss. You should be aware, however, that no method of transmission over the internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While security cannot be guaranteed, we strive to protect the security of the personal data and will constantly review and enhance our information security measures.
- DO NOT CALL (DNC) REGISTRY
8.1 TMBS will not send unsolicited telemarketing messages (“specified messages”) to Singapore telephone numbers through voice calls, text or fax messages registered on the DNC Registry unless TMBS has obtained your clear and unambiguous consent in written or other accessible forms.
8.2 However, TMBS will continue to contact you at the telephone or facsimile number/s you have provided us in the limited circumstances allowed under the Personal Data Protection (Exemption from Section 43) Order 2013, even if these telephone or facsimile number/s are registered with the DNC. You may, however, advise us in writing should you wish to opt-out of receiving such messages.
9.1 A cookie is a small piece of information that is placed on your computer when you visit certain websites. While a cookie can tell us when you enter our sites and which pages you visit, it cannot read data off your hard disk.
- Enabling certain features and functions on our websites;
- Building up a profile of how you and other users use the website;
- Improving the efficiency of our website;
- Administering services to you; and
- Establishing usage statistics.
9.3 Most internet browsers provide you the option of turning off the processing of cookies, but this may result in the loss of functionality, restrict your use of the website and/or delay or affect the way in which it operates.
- ACTIVITES UNDERTAKEN PRIOR TO 2 JULY 2014
- TMBS may use personal data collected before 2 July 2014 for purposes for which the personal data was collected unless you have informed us in writing to withdraw your consent to its use and disclosure.
- CONTACT OUR DATA PROTECTION OFFICER
10.1 If you:
- have a complaint or require more information about how we manage your personal data;
- would like to withdraw your consent to any use of your personal data as set out in this Policy; or
- would like to obtain access and make corrections to your personal data records,
please contact our Data Protection Officer at:
The Mahaprajna Buddhist Society
11 Lorong 35, Geylang
Tel: +65 6748 6625
- CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
12.1 TMBS reserves the right to amend this Policy at any time. If we make any changes, we will post these changes on our website. Hence, we suggest that any interested person check for the most up-to-date version of the Policy on our website.