FAQs on SCDC Enrolment
(Sunday Children Dharma Class)
The objectives of Sunday Children Dharma Class (SCDC) is to introduce simple and pure Buddhism to children, as well as, to promote their healthy mental development.
SCDC is a structured 8-year course from Kindergarten 1 (age 5) to Primary 6 (age 12). Please refer to this link for the course syllabus. Students automatically proceed to the next level at the end of the calendar year. No examination or test is required. Lessons are conducted every Sunday afternoon from 2pm to 4pm at the Society’s premises.
Chinese is the primary medium of instruction in SCDC. However, teachers may explain the Dharma in English to enhance students’ understanding.
The school year starts from January and ends in December. Semester holidays and examination breaks are as follows:
- June – 4 weeks (semester holiday for all levels)
- September to early October – 4 to 5 weeks (examination break for Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) for P6)
- October – 3 to 4 weeks (examination break for K1 to P5)
- December – 4 weeks (semester holiday for all levels)
* The semester holidays and examination breaks will be adjusted according to the MOE’s annual schedule.
The weekly lessons include:
- Explanation of Buddhism
- Morning recitation – pre-lesson assembly (singing Buddhist songs, chanting and meditation)
- In-class lesson – delivery of lesson and activities curated by teachers to enhance understanding of the lesson
- Evening recitation – post-lesson assembly (singing the Society Song and dedication of merits)
Except for Kindergarten 1 and 2, Primary 1 and 2 are on Human and Deva Vehicles Buddhism, Primary 3 and 4 are on Theravada Buddhism and Primary 5 and 6 are on Mahayana Buddhism. We provide textbooks for each level comprising 30 chapters in both Chinese and English, and supplemented with illustrations. Buddhist stories are incorporated in some chapters to enrich students’ Dharma learning. In addition, teachers are actively involved in information gathering, game planning, storytelling, arranging role-play activities etc., to promote student’s passion and understanding of the Dharma.
SCDC teachers are volunteers who are outstanding graduates of the Society’s Chinese Dharma Class and English Dharma Class. Some of them are professional teachers or professionals from all walks of life.
SCDC students are encouraged to enrol in Sunday Youth Dharma Class after graduating from SCDC.
The full fee per year is $93 which comprises $90 miscellaneous fee and $3 insurance premium. The fee is collected in two semesters:
|Collections||Miscellaneous Fee||Insurance Premium||Total|
(payable in January)
(payable in July)
Textbooks are included in the fees.
Students are required to wear SCDC T-shirts with long pants or below knee length three-quarter pants. SCDC T-shirts can be purchased from the supervisor, the price is $13 each.
Any student who is currently attending K1 to P6 may enrol in SCDC.
In the event that your child is considering to enrol in the midst of the school year, we will evaluate on a case-by-case basis, so please contact us for further information.
We welcome students whose parents are not Buddhists to enrol, as it aligns with the Society’s objective to nurture children with Buddhism education. However priority is given to those whose parents are Buddhists whenever there is over enrolment.
As lessons are group lessons, there are no make-up lessons arranged for students who are absent from class.
You may obtain a registration form from the information counter at level 1 of the Society or download the form at this link . Please submit the registration form through any of the following channels:
- Information Counter at Level 1;
- Email: email@example.com;
- WhatsApp: 9663 2575; or
- Mail: The Mahaprajna Buddhist Society, 11, Lorong 35 Geylang, Singapore 387943.
- In view of the Covid-19 situation, the mode of lesson delivery, timing as well as class activities will be revisited from time to time to comply with the prevailing safe management measures imposed by the relevant authorities.
- The Society reserves the right to revise the fees and T-shirt price.